Friday, June 22, 2018

Laura Ingalls Wilder's Quilt Block Patterns

For years I’ve visited the Laura and Almanzo Wilder Rocky Ridge Farm site in Mansfield MO, sometimes twice a year. When my children were young, we took them to visit and learn about Laura and her family. At that time, we visited the old museum and toured the farmhouse.

A new museum was built in 2016, a short distance from the farmhouse, but I still have fond memories of the old and tiny museum.

The farmhouse is wonderful. Almanzo Wilder built the kitchen countertops to accommodate Laura's short stature even though he wasn't that tall either.  

I made this pillow from an applique pattern purchased 
at the bookstore. The pillow is about 12x12 inches.
The lace you see is another pillow behind it. For 
the appliqué, I used the zig zag stitch on my sewing
machine. The stem and leaf detail I hand embroidered.
In the Little House books, Laura talks about not liking to sew when she had to make clothing, sheets for the beds, underwear, quilts and just about anything they needed.

I've sewn "stuff" since my junior high school years. Laura's creations have always interested me. (Some are shown in the Mansfield Museum.)Of course, I've used sewing machines to sew, but back then Laura sewed by hand. Later her pa gave her ma a sewing machine, but they were experts in sewing things by hand. Each time I leave the Wilder farm, I leave inspired to create.

Through the years, I decided to buy a couple of Laura's quilt block patterns from the bookstore. I continue to dream of producing quilts on a regular basis because they are useful and it's a useful skill. 

The first pattern I purchased was the bear's paw pattern either in the late 1990s or early 2000s for $1.00 from the bookstore. I must confess that I have not made anything from this one. 

Another time, I purchased a flower appliqué pattern that I've made a couple of pillows from (pictured above). One I gave to my sister and the other to my daughter. It’s a simple design and not much work, but I still think it’s pretty. I still have that pattern, just not sure where it is.

Last weekend, I visited the Laura Ingalls Wilder homes and gravesite again in Mansfield, MO. I bought another quilt block pattern, this time a nine patch for $2.50. 


If you're interested in Laura Ingalls Wilder, I will be posting more on that trip in the weeks to come. 

~Teresa





3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

All that time consuming work and they still managed to do so much. That's what would impress me.

Mason Canyon said...

Sounds like a fun place to visit. I've only made one quilt in my life. It was hard work, but so much fun.

Fundy Blue said...

I enjoyed this post, Teresa. I often read one of the Little House books to my second and/or third graders. My grandmother MacDonald and I pieced a nine patch quilt about four decades ago, and she and her fellow quilters at the Baptist church quilted it. Last summer I gave it to my first grand niece (first grand anything) for her 100 Day Celebration. Her name was Ella Grace, just like my Grandmother MacDonald, who is her great great grandmother. It was hard to let the quilt go, but it couldn't have gone to a more perfect person. I hope you get to make your Laura Ingalls Wilder quilt! Happy 4th!