Monday, May 23, 2016

Laura Ingalls Wilder Love

If you know me at all, you might remember how much I love the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. In grade school and while we lived in Illinois, I began reading the Little House books. Our teacher read to our class Little House in the Big Woods, and well, you know how it goes, I was hooked on the books. It was after I’d read my favorite of the books, The Long Winter, that I decided I would write the author a letter.  

Guess what? She had already passed away. I still feel a little bitter about that. 
I'm so pleased that I live near Laura's adult home in Mansfield, Missouri. I visit there at least once a year. So you might imagine my happiness when they announced last year (or it could have been the year before)that a new museum would be built. 

It is built.

It has opened. 

I have visited. 


The old museum was wonderful, but a bit small. The new museum is larger and has a few additional items that were not on display in the old museum. If you get to Missouri, travel to Mansfield, stop by the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum and visit her homes. 

You’ll get to see the farmhouse.


And the rock house that their daughter Rose built for her parents (my favorite). 



Sincerely,

A huge Laura Ingalls Wilder Fan since grade school!

Have you ever read the LIW books? Visited any of the Ingalls' home sites or Mansfield, MO? 

13 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Teresa - certainly I'd visit if and when I get to Missouri ... I'm so pleased it's been upgraded and that you live near enough to visit quite often ...

Cheers Hilary

shelly said...

I love museums. This one would be cool to visit.

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

I have read all of the books! Haven't made it to MO, though.

Love the farmhouse, but I'm with you...the stone house is even lovelier.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I watched the television series.
Cool you got to visit the new museum.

JoJo said...

I love the Little House books and info about Laura and her family. I haven't visited any of the homestead sites...closest I came was taking pics of the exit sign for De Smet off I-90, when we were driving east in 2011. Rose was soooooo far ahead of her time. I'm fascinated by her as well. I did see the San Francisco house she rented a room in when she lived out there.

Elephant's Child said...

Isn't it sad when you discover an author you love has left...
I am so glad you can (and do) get to the museum.

Pat Hatt said...

I've seen the tv show. That is neat how they upped the museum and the rock house looks like a nice one too.

Susan Kane said...

I read all the books, and then read them to my students. When she passed, it was a sad moment in history.

Gail said...

I'm glad the house stands. Puts the size of Almonzo and Laura into perspective.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I would love to visit Hemingway's Florida home with the six pawed cats. Laura was a much finer person than Hemingway though. :-)

Mason Canyon said...

Sad to say I've never actually read the books, but did enjoy the TV show. Glad you get to visit the museum, sounds like fun. I think the rock house would be my favorite too.

Arlee Bird said...

I've seen a few episodes of the TV show, but I've never read any of the books. I bought a nice set of them several years ago, but then a few years after and got them and still hadn't read them, I gave them to a niece for her birthday. I never asked her if she'd read them though I'm sure she has as she's a voracious reader. Now she's going to college studying engineering.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

cleemckenzie said...

It's wonderful to have connection like this to a favorite writer. I happen to have two writers near me that I would love to meet. One is Beverly Cleary ( I think she's about 100) and the other Lawrence Yep.