Friday, January 12, 2018

To Grandmother's House We Go


This week on FB, I posted a photo that I have hanging on a wall in my house of a road that once led to my paternal grandparents farm near Long Lane, Missouri. The road is still there. My grandparents are not and their farmhouse has since burned down.

The photo evoked emotions from some who had lived off of and traveled the road. 

Those people shared their memories. One said that the trees in the photo were no longer there. A couple of people wrote about riding the school bus and playing in the creek that the road runs over and picnics. I talked about my own memories and a cabin that my dad had built overlooking the creek when he grew up there.   


For me, the road begins at a highway just before the small town of Long Lane and eventually passes a church with a cemetery where some of my relatives have graves. There were other ways to get to this road that turned onto the road where they lived, but we normally didn't go those routes.



A sign on the chain link fence around the cemetery.
This sign message...is good to know. 
Memories are what we use when we cannot revisit something or someone. 

Memories are unique for each person, personalized by experience. 

9 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

That memories are. One photo can sure bring about many from the many. Can be fun to hear experiences from places you know too.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Amazing one photo can spark such memories.
Is the church still there?

T. Powell Coltrin said...

Yes the church is still there.

Fundy Blue said...

I love the family pictures and stories that people share. I really believe in the importance of story. We have so much more in common as people than is different. It's fascinating to see how people can experience and remember the same place or event differently. Thanks for sharing!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Teresa - how lovely to have that photo - to bring back memories ... there's been so much change in the past 100 - 120 years or so - we forget when we're thinking back. It's good to write your remembrances up ... have a good year and cheers Hilary

Susan Kane said...

Excellent photos! Ancestors have so many stories in those b/w photos. Like you, I am walking down those roads and graveyards in memories.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Ann Best said...

I'm so happy to have found your site, Teresa. This really speaks to me. Being in my 70th year, and still a caregiver for 30+ years now to a disabled daughter, I thought I'd give up blogging. I've been away awhile, but being quite homebound I felt an urging to come back. And here's your blog - memories of the past which is my focus right now - what a beautiful site, beautiful old photographs, and I will return to read more. This is all JUST wonderful.

Arlee Bird said...

I didn't see my grandparents all that much since we never lived real close to them. But I have a lot of memories of my maternal grandparents big house in Morgantown, WV. I loved that place. It still stands and has been designated with a plaque that it is a historic home. My wife and I got an opportunity to tour the house a few years ago. The lady who lived there was very welcoming and showed us all around. It had been fixed up beautifully, but still evoked the old memories.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out