Saturday, April 19, 2014

Quilts


When my grandmothers were growing up and when they became adults with their own homes, women made quilts to keep their families warm on winter nights.
 
 
 Minnie Pitts Powell, my grandmother, made two quilts as wedding gifts for me and my groom: pink and white squares made of cotton—quilted (see photo below) and a purple double-knit made of squares—tacked.  The purple knit quilt was as warm as any wool blanket even if  it was heavy and I couldn't move under it, until morning. I no longer have the purple quilt.  

 
The pink and white quilt is backed with a colorful stripe.
 
 
 This blue quilt made with some type of star and strips was given to me after Minnie passed.
Up close star.
 

 
My grandmother Sadie Stafford Dugan used (mostly) feed sacks on her quilt.  There are a couple of other fabrics, probably clothing that was worn out.
As with most families of that era nothing went to waste.
 
 
One day I will back it.  
 
Here's one of the fabrics--nothing I would put in a child's room, but so cool.
 
 
This is another fabric on the quilt top--a much more peaceful scene.
 
 
Quilts made by women before me. Quilts made for a purpose and with their own hands. A job well done, Sadie and Minnie--my beloved grandmothers. 
 
 
 

9 comments:

Pat Hatt said...

Quilts show a lot of history indeed

JoJo said...

Beautiful quilts. I have friends who are adept at quilting but I can't sew so I never tried it.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You could make an Easter Bunny quilt!
Have a Blessed Easter, Teresa.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Teresa .. Quilts and home-making show many skills and so lovely that you've inherited or kept the quilts ...

Happy Easter and a blessed time with family and friends - cheers Hilary

Mason Canyon said...

There is so much history in a quilt passed down from generation to generation. Quilts today are still beautiful but lose something since they're not hand sewn. These are beautiful quilts.

Anonymous said...

Delighted I visited on the 19th day of the #Challenge. Have started following because this is a wonderful model for family tree posts. Congratulations. If you have time or interest, I am writing about gardening and related topics this month. I've looked at hundreds of blogs and you can be proud of this one.

Ava Quinn said...

What beautiful heirlooms. Thank you for sharing them.

Happy atoz! :)

Unknown said...

My grandmother used to make me clothes out of feed sacks. They came in colorful prints just for that purpose and you are right, nothing went to waste. I made my grandson who is now grown and graduating soon a quilt from old flannel shirts.

Their hands were always creating with love.

Mary Aalgaard said...

We have lots of scrap quilts and patchwork quilts from grandmothers, etc. My mom is a great quilter and we appreciate all of them!