Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Minnie Writes Home


 
 
 
My paternal grandmother, Minnie Pitts Powell, attended beauty school. While there(I believe), she wrote to her parents using this postcard.  

 
  
 
 

During one of our conversations, she told me that what she really wanted to be was a nurse. Her parents didn’t think that nursing was an honorable profession, since she would have to see naked men, so she became a beautician.

Minnie wrote home, but addressed it to herself.
 
 
Photo: Minnie as a child. Cora Pitts, photographer and older sister, took the picture.
 
Minnie wrote home.
 
 

8 comments:

Arlee Bird said...

I'd have kept that post card too mostly for the family memory, but also because I collect postcards and stamps. So funny about the thought toward nursing. Most parents would see that attitude reversed in our time.

Lee
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog

Kyra Lennon said...

I agree with Arlee about nursing! And what a great thing to have to remember Minnie!

Unknown said...

These pics took me back to a different time and place!

Damyanti, Co-host A to Z Challenge April 2014, My Latest post

Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Anonymous said...

As I chose Art stream because of the thought of dissecting insects...a lovely tribute...

Anonymous said...

lovely pictures and beautiful tribute to Minnie. good luck with the rest of the challenge, do check out my blog at http://www.angiecreativeink.com/blog/ thanks.

Stephsco said...

Wow, what an odd mindset about nursing. Isn't it strange how a comment like that completely altered her life?

Hope you're enjoying the A to Z Challenge! My theme is Memorable Characters. Glad to have met you!

cleemckenzie said...

Those postcards were so beautiful. Minnie was a looker, too. Was her full name Minnie or was that a nickname?

SK Anthony said...

Beautiful picture of Minnie as a child!
Love that you have a picture of the (and maybe even the actual) postcard.

Imagine these days a parent telling their child to become a beautician instead of a nurse? Times sure change our views!