Saturday, April 12, 2014

Keychain



I have a fascination with my grandfathers and I think of them often. I knew my grandfather, Hurschel Powell, until my 12th year, then he died of Parkinson’s disease. My maternal grandfather, Frank Dugan, died sometime in my first year (I think). My mom, dad and a baby Teresa lived with them until I was six months old. He died thereafter of a heart attack.

 
This little keychain charm was my grandfather Hurschel’s. It says on the front, Royal Gorge. That’s all I know about it. 
 
 




My grandfather was:

Tall and handsome
Served in the military
Married my grandmother
Begat my dad
Who begat me.











 
He was a kind, fun loving and great example for a granddad.
 
And he had a cool keychain charm.
 



7 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Teresa .. what a lovely little reminder - I wonder where it came from .. did they emigrate from here - or were they residents already in the States.

There is a Royal Gorge in Colorado .. could that be it?

Thanks for your congratulations and those very kind thoughts - have a lovely weekend ... cheers Hilary

seeta said...

This is such a lovely keychain <3

xx
www.holdingajournal.blogspot.com

Pat Hatt said...

Looks very original indeed, be interesting to learn where he got it

JoJo said...

Just on a whim I googled 'Royal Gorge Conservation Corps' and there is a Royal Gorge on Ketcherside Mountain in Missouri. Isn't that where you live? Was your grandfather in the CC in the 1930s? The arrowhead also reminded me of the National Park Service logo too.

T. Powell Coltrin said...

JoJo I don't know. I'll see if my dad knows. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

It's a very interesting keychain charm! What a fun mystery. Solving it should be alot of fun! Let us know when you find out what it is and where it's from. I love intriguing mysteries from the past!

cleemckenzie said...

The only artifact I have from my grandfather is his railroad watch. I cherish it and it brings back some great memories of a man I loved. The keychain charm you have is special!