Monday, April 7, 2014

Feline


In my family, we like cats, but we also like dogs. It’s only fitting that I show you this cat figurine that belonged to my Great Grandma Carrie.

This sweet woman was my paternal grandfather's mother. His name was Hurschel Powell. Her name was Carrie Howe Powell.


Did you get that?

I loved visiting her house on Ramsey Street, in Buffalo Missouri, because she was a pleasant woman, and her house was full of wonderful things.

My favorite thing, in her house, was a black cat wall-clock with eyes and tail that swung back and forth (I think) in opposite directions.

 
Carrie Howe Powell is in the center of this family gathering. I am the toothless wonder to her left. (I apologize that the photo is grainy.)

I am the custodian of her glass feline, but more important, I own the memories.
 

16 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Love the picture! And the cat. You're right...it's so wonderful to have pictures and other mementos, but mainly because they remind us of people we love who are no longer with us.

Sophie Duncan said...

That's a sweet ornament and a lovely anecdote :) When I think of my grandmother's house, I think of sand sculptures and toby jugs.
Sophie
Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles - A to Z Ghosts
Fantasy Boys XXX - A to Z Drabblerotic

Pat Hatt said...

Can't beat a cat, nice ornament indeed

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Which means her memory will live on.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

My favorite aunt had one of those cat clocks when I was little. I was fascinated by it.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Awww, that is a sweet post. I love your "feline," and I love that it's not just the china statue you hold dear, but the memories you associate it with. Nice photo, too - even sans teeth!

JoJo said...

I have one of those clocks too. Lovely memories you have and the trinkets to go with them.

Anonymous said...


"He's really not dead... as long as we remember him." Dr Leonard "Bones" McCoy. It's things like this cat that keep people immortal

Anonymous said...

Nice post! I was also very close to great-grandparents and grandparents. Such a gift to be able to know the people who are our history. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

That's awesome! Pictures are so full of memories :)
One of my hubby's great aunts had a clock like the one you describe - so cute!

Li said...

It seems like those cat clocks were everywhere once upon a time - my great aunt had one and it held a creepy fascination for me. Love the figurine!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Oh, so true. That clock sounds like a hoot!
Play off the Page

Susan Kane said...

This says it all:
"...but more important, I own the memories. "

Mason Canyon said...

The glass feline is so cute and what a great photo. The memories are priceless.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Teresa .. your glass cat or rather Carrie's cat sits so well - and must bring back memories for you ...

Buffalo - sounds such a great name for a town .. and what treasured memories you must have .. that cat clock with its eyes and tail moving in opposite directions .. mesmerising for a small child ..

Your photo is a delight to see ...

Love your memories .. cheers Hilary

Lisa said...

Always nice to have memories and things that bring those memories to mind...