Monday, April 29, 2013

The Year

The United States in 1973
I was living the summer before my final year at Buffalo High School. These things were going on in the world around me:
January 1 of 1973 began on a Monday.
President: Richard M. Nixon
Vice President: Spiro T. Agnew
Population: 211,908,788
Life expectancy: 71.4 years
News: Nixon, on national TV, accepts responsibility, but not blame, for Watergate; accepts resignations of H. R. Haldeman and John D. Ehrlichman, fires John W. Dean III as counsel (April 30).
Median Household Income: (current dollars):  $10,000 – 12,000
Unemployment:   4.9%
Cost of a first-class stamp:   $0.08

Super Bowl: Miami d. Washington (14-7)


The Harder They Come
American Graffiti
The Exorcist
The Sting
Last Tango in Paris
Do With Me What You Will by Joyce Carol Oates,
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon,
Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut,

Average Cost of new house- $32,500.00
Average Monthly Rent- $175.00
A gallon of gas- 40 cents
AMC Javelin car -$2,900.00
Eggs -45 cents a dozen




J Keith said...

Wow a gallon of gas was only twice the price of a dozen eggs. Almost three to four times the price of eggs now per gallon

Fairview said...

40 cents for gas? Unheard of!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Teresa .. I think our British stats on 1973 would throw up similar thoughts ...

I wasn't really into films then, or for that matter books ... sport ruled my life along with seeing friends and debating the road ahead ...

I bought a flat in London Nottinghill area (not posh then) but can't remember whether it was £8,000 or £18,000 - I hope I have the details somewhere!

Cheers Hilary

JoJo said...

My fave movie also came out in 73, 'Paper Moon'!! My dad was an unapologetic Nixon/Agnew supporter in those days.

Pat Hatt said...

Wow, wouldn't it be nice to live off $10,000 this day in age? American Graffiti was a great one too.

Lynn Proctor said...

wow, yes those were the days!

Hart Johnson said...

So interesting the differences in rates of how cost/price goes up. My parents bought the house I grew up in around then (maybe a year earlier) for $28,000. Average income is about three times higher, but average house (and gas) are closer to 9 times higher... Thank you Ronald Reagan for the cheap credit that put the halt to salary increases. #thatwassarcasm

Carol Kilgore said...

Wow. Cheaper for a gallon of gas than a dozen eggs. I didn't remember that all those movies came out in the same year. said...

I love the price of gas and eggs!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Forty cents for gas - and here we've seen over four dollars.

Clarissa Draper said...

Awesome! It's amazing how much prices have gone up in twenty years.

Kern Windwraith said...

It was clearly a great year for books, and not bad for movies either. And, wow, 8 cents to mail a letter? 40 cents for a gallon of gas? My how times change.

I'd hate to project costs another forty years into the future--how scary would that be?

Susan Kane said...

I remember those years well. We were newlyweds. I spent $10/week on groceries. Our University housing was $85/month.

Judy SheldonWalker said...

Our gas is now over $4. a gallon and I can remember us kids throwing some change together are filling the tank to drive around for hours. Things have certainly changed!