Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The Waiting Summer: Not in a Zillion Years

I’ve worked the summer waiting tables at a restaurant near a state park. I’ve also been waiting for my senior year to begin so that I can finish with the class of 1974. Over the summer, I've made a little over $500 from my 50 cent an hour wage, plus tips. I will use my earnings to buy things I need for my senior year like a class ring, necklace, yearbook and senior pictures. I will also buy or sew new school clothing. The summer of my seventeenth year is nearly over. It's time to quit my job. 
I first tell the owners of the restaurant that I’m quitting my job. Then I tell Opal who, on my first day, took me under her wing. Next, I tell Evie who moans and says that I’m silly to quit. Then, I tell the cook, but she’s ok with it since we’ll see each other at church. I tell my regulars I’m leaving the job: the man who always gives a nickel tip for his cup of coffee, the slicked hair guy who never gave up trying to lure me to his rented room at the resort every time he visited and the various fishermen who tipped well because they liked me.
When it’s time to leave, Evie surprises me by saying, “You should work here on weekends that way we won't have to miss you.”
 “I’ll be too busy,” I say, but I’m thinking, not in a zillion years.
 “You won’t want to work while school’s going on,” Opal says, smiling at me.
Although, I’m happy it’s my last day working at the restaurant, I also feel sad. There's something almost sacred about last days spent in places with people you're invested in. Leaving can produce a heavy heart, partly because of what's behind you, and, partly for the unknown you face. Either way, the heart suffers -- until it doesn't.
After I say my goodbyes, I drive my green Ford Mustang back up the hill that had once brought me there to work.
 
The End... of The Waiting Summer!
I NOW bow to you all for reading my stuff, the best and the worst of it!

In the weeks to come, I’ll be writing my thoughts on writing the stories for the A-Z at Journaling Woman. See you there?
(P.S. The photo is my school picture taken a few weeks after school began.)  
(P.S.S. I would have said, not in a billion years, instead of not in zillion years, but I had to answer the call of the A-Z.)

35 comments:

Fairview said...

Aw, great way to end. I wish there were letters after Z so there would be more to read! Great writing!

The Wicked Writer said...

very poignant, loved the story. Well done on completing the challenge

Teresa Coltrin said...

Aww thanks, Fairview. I appreciate you reading my ramblings. I do post here from time to time. I've enjoyed yours too.

Wicked Writer, thanks!

JoJo said...

Well done! Will you keep posting here?

Banker Chick said...

Some of my best memories of my youth take place in the summers. A very carefree time.
Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

Lynn Proctor said...

wonderful ending--but i hope it is not really an ending--i can tell you, i will miss this series <3

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Teresa .. I feel as though I know your lovely homely hometown .. through the dry brush, weeping trees and languid stream ... holding many secrets from over the years, now yours too - those summer days of sweet sixteen .. I can visualise many of your experiences .. beautifully written in wonderful settings ...

Happy memories .. of those times and of the A-Z .. cheers and enjoy a few days of peace .. Hilary

Mary Aalgaard said...

Endings are hard.

You did great on this challenge. Thanks for sharing so many stories with us.
(Millie and Willie wave.)

Play off the Page

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Love that sweet picture! And I loved your stories, too. I love that you brought me back to my own summer jobs/after school jobs: that feeling of relief and regret all mixed into one when we left them!

Pat Hatt said...

haha using a number that doesn't even exist for your last post, cheater hahaha

Yeah there is a feeling of each as you leave a job, mine was always more relief though.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Always sad to say goodbye but you were ready to move on.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Very well done! Congrats on crossing the finish line and on doing such a great job during this month of April

joyinthemoments said...

Love how you journaled your journey. What park did you work at? My brother works up on the Olympic Peninsula at Lake Crescent. It's beautiful there.

Carol Kilgore said...

I've really enjoyed reading the tales of your seventeenth summer. And I'm glad you got rid of Wade and never went to Slick Hair Guy's room.

I hope your senior year was all you hoped it would be.

No worries about zillion...literary license :)

Peggy Blann Phifer said...

Nice post. Great way to end the challenge. :)

Texas Playwright Chick said...

...something almost sacred about last days spent in places with people you're invested in....

So lovely!

Texas Playwright Chick

Deborah said...

You captured my feelings, exactly, when I resigned my job last year...


"Although, I’m happy it’s my last day...I also feel sad. There's something almost sacred about last days spent in places with people you're invested in. Leaving can produce a heavy heart, partly because of what's behind you, and, partly for the unknown you face. Either way, the heart suffers -- until it doesn't."

So true. Thank you for sharing!
Deb

John Wiswell said...

This story made my smile. And now, and end to waiting! Congratulations on crossing the finish line of A-to-Z.

John at The Bathroom Monologues

Jaime said...

This was wonderful. I'll definitely be visiting you at JW for more1

Jaime at Awakenings and Reflections

MZ said...

Thanks for stopping by Witt Bits. Looks like you're way ahead of me on the quest to zettabytes of info. Nice job!

Sharon Himsl said...

Didn't read all, but I sure enjoyed the few posts I did. Some of our memories stay with us for life it seems. Congrats on finishing the a-z!!

Delia Latham said...

GREAT post! You made it so interesting...now I have to go back and read through the others. :)

Thanks for visiting my blog, and congratulations on finishing the A-Z challenge!

Sangita Kalarickal said...

Lovely post! Thanks a zillion! Like Delia above, said, I simply have to visit your previous posts!

Suzy said...

Sad to say goodbye but I'm glad this challenge is over - it was fun but quite time consuming. btw I would've said not in a million years! thanks for dropping by my blog.

Clarissa Draper said...

What a journey. I really enjoyed the the look back would like to thank you for stopping by my blog.

Gina Gao said...

This is a really nice post! I guess everyone has had that feeling at least once in their life.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Shell Flower said...

Still catching up with new blogs. Thanks for stopping by mine. This was a really sweet story. I loved the list of things you were going to buy with your money. I'll have to come back and read more.

Faye North said...

Congratulations on completing the Challenge!
Faye at Destination: Fiction

jesstopper said...

Wow, what a cool way to conquer the A to Z. Your blog has such a wonderful, authentic feel! Best of luck with the writing and congrats on completing the challenge!

Kristin said...

Well, that sucked me right in. I'll have to go back and read from the beginning.

Cindy Dwyer said...

Very poignant story. We've all been there - so happy to quit a job yet sad to say goodbye.

Zoanna said...

Well done! So enjoyed this series, although i have to go back and catch ones i missed. I really liked how you expressed the feelings of last days.

Tammy Theriault said...

beautiful younger you matches beautiful you now!!!

Judy SheldonWalker said...

I spent my teen summers working at a dairy queen and a root-beer stand. Sometimes I would wedge a little babysitting and sign painting in between my shifts. Working was such a wonderful part of growing up and I am so grateful for it. Some young people now a days cannot find a job or even understand the value of one.

Doralynn Kennedy said...

thanks for the visit and the follow. Pleasure to meet you.